Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Is it Enough?

I have a friend I have known for several years, her name is Leah.  She is a joyful person, has a great smile, and her talent in drawing is of prodigy proportions.  I love her goofy sense of personality.  Mainly because I am goofy, we can be goofy together.  Last year I was informed that Leah had been missing for the last 2 years in sex slavery.   Heart wrenching isn't it?  Tell me about it.  Someone with so much potential who has been snatched up into a world she has no control off, a world she can't get out off.  I sit here and I pray and I pray that God delivers her out of her bondage.  Lord only knows what kind of torture she must be going through.  I always wonder though, What can I do?

Pray? Sure I can pray.  Is it enough?  I don't mean to minimize the power of prayer.  Prayer is what connects us to someone who can actually do something.  Prayer is our way of interceding for those who are lost.  Prayer provides miracles.  So I will continue to pray and to pray, but why do I get this sinking feeling I am still not doing enough?   Today is Leah's birthday and we're at almost 3 years since she's been missing.  A few of my friends mentioned her in a post on facebook, so I posted something too in hopes that maybe enlisting the prayers of others; we can petition the Creator of the Universe to free her from those that enslave her.

I really have noticed that as humans, we really cannot grasp the reality of human trafficking.  We cannot put ourselves in that person's shoe to catch a glimpse of what amount of torture they are in fact dealing with on a day to day basis.  We've tuned it out.  Human trafficking is such a monumental problem, that to one person, fixing it seems an almost impossible task.  So we've learned to silence the heartbreaks of others in an effort to protect our own sanity.  One can only bear so much compassion before they start to break.  But we can't! We mustn't! The lives of so many men, women, and children are depending upon the few and brave to stand up and free them.  Not everyone is called to be on the front lines, don't get me wrong.  But I still believe that we can still do something.  We can volunteer our time, raise awareness, donate, or just plain be involved.

My sheepish little facebook post requesting for prayer my seem small, but to God it's something.  He is one person I know who CAN handle the pain that everyone is going through, and He is one person I know who can actually DO something about it.  So I will pray, pray, and pray some more.  I will request people to pray for her, I will post her prayer request on every prayer board  I can in  hopes that I may hear the news that she is returned, safe and sound, in the caring arms of those who love her.  

I challenge you to not numb the pain that others are going through.  I challenge you to actually step inside the world of what someone else may be experiencing.  Compassion leads to action.  Just maybe you can be the difference in someone else's life.  And if you don't mind saying a prayer for my friend, Leah.  I will forever be grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment